Video shows the moment an eight-week-old puppy was rescued by police from overdosing on narcotics in Irvine.
Officers had arrested the dog’s owners for possession of narcotics found inside their vehicle that was parked outside a Walmart earlier this week.
After transporting the suspects to the police station, the puppy began exhibiting signs of overdosing on opioids.
Thinking quickly, officers administered Narcan to the dog which eventually saved its life. Police believe the puppy had ingested some loose fentanyl from inside the vehicle at the time.
Naloxone, also known as Narcan, is an opioid overdose treatment that can rapidly reduce overdosing effects. It can be given as a nasal spray or it can be injected into the muscle, under the skin, or into the veins.
Veterinarians tell KTLA that using Narcan on animals is not a new procedure, with many vets successfully saving dogs’ lives with the overdose treatment.
The Irvine officers, however, didn’t know whether Narcan would be successful on the dog, but acted quickly and thankfully, made the right call.
“I wasn’t aware of any prior cases of us using Narcan on an animal,” said Sgt. Karie Davies with Irvine police. “So it was sort of improvised at the moment.”
Davies notes, however, that trainers at the police department were aware of the successful use of Narcan on dogs.
“Ultimately, it was the right decision because the puppy was clearly in distress and the Narcan was able to turn her around pretty quickly,” Davies said.
The pitbull puppy was treated and later released. Police said the dog appeared to be healthy and in good spirits.
The dog’s owners, only identified as a man and a woman, are facing several charges related to their arrest. Meanwhile, the puppy remains in the city’s custody.