Kitten Paralyzed During Apparent Botched Microchip Procedure Undergoes Corrective Surgery

Local news
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A six-week old kitten named “Muffin” who became paralyzed after getting a microchip procedure underwent corrective surgery at a Culver City animal hospital on Tuesday.

“Muffin survived the surgery and the microchip is out,” according to a post on a fundraising page for the kitten on YouCaring.com.  “It will be a little while before we know how much mobility he will have, but the neurosurgeon is optimistic.”

ACCESS Specialty Animal Hospital confirmed Monday in an emailed statement that the orange kitten would be having surgery there with a board-certified veterinary neurologist.

Muffin’s ordeal began when he was rescued on Oct. 16 in Downey, according to the fundraising page organized by Laurence Slama.

His new owner took him for a required microchip. She later noticed that the kitten became lethargic after the procedure. His head was “dangling,” and he soon couldn’t move, according to a post on the page.

After the paralysis continued through the night, the woman took the kitten to a neurologist where to her horror she learned he had been paralyzed, the page stated. An x-ray showed that the microchip had apparently been placed into his spinal cord.

Over $6,000 had been raised for the kitten’s care as of Tuesday evening.

Most Popular

Latest News

More News