LAPD Releases Video of Bystander, Officer Exchanging Gunfire During South L.A. Foot Pursuit; Both Wounded

Local news
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Police released video and audio Friday surrounding a shooting involving an officer and bystander who opened fire during a foot pursuit in a South Los Angeles housing project last month.

Both 39-year-old Curley Duff of Los Angeles and the officer were left wounded after the April 20 shooting at the Pueblo Del Rio complex, near where Holmes Avenue rounds into 51st Street, according to the L.A. Police Department.

The incident began when police were following a different man driving a BMW 7 Series who blew through a stop sign at Holmes Avenue and 52nd Street around 9:20 p.m. A pair of officers followed the car until the driver parked and ran into the housing development, and a foot pursuit ensued, LAPD dashcam video shows.

The officers were assigned to a gang investigation unit, officials said.

Surveillance video from the project shows the officers chasing the driver through a courtyard. The man identified as Duff was sitting at a picnic table as they ran by.

As the pursuit rounds behind a building and back up to near where Duff sat, he got up and pointed a handgun at one of the officers then shot him, Capt. Gisselle Espinoza said.

The officer immediately returned fire, video shows.

Both men were struck. In bodycam footage, the officer can be heard telling his partner, “I’m hit bro, in my leg.”

The officer, whose name has not been released, remained walking and talking for a little over a minute before falling to the ground in pain.

Curley Duff, 39, is seen in an undated booking photo released May 24, 2019, by the Los Angeles Police Department.
Curley Duff, 39, is seen in an undated booking photo released May 24, 2019, by the Los Angeles Police Department.

Duff, meanwhile, was lying on the ground motionless while police ordered him handcuffed.

A patrol car transported the officer to the hospital, where he was in stable condition after undergoing surgery. Duff was taken to the hospital by ambulance.

LAPD did not say if the driver being sought was ever taken into custody.

Because of the large crowd that gathered at the shooting scene, officers decided to remove Duff’s gun from where it lay on the ground and place it in a police car, rather than waiting for specialized police shooting investigators to retrieve it as is protocol, Espinoza said.

Investigators have since taken custody of the gun, she added.

Four days after the shooting, on April 24, Duff was charged with attempted murder of a police officer, police said.

He’s being held on $2.095 million bail, inmate records show.

Most Popular

Latest News

More News

KTLA on Instagram


KTLA on Facebook

KTLA on Twitter