Man Hospitalized After Shooting Involving Anaheim Officers: Police

Local news
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
A man who authorities thought might be a burglary suspect was taken to a hospital with at least one gunshot wound following a shooting that involved police in Anaheim on Friday, authorities said. Around 10:45 a.m., Anaheim police were notified of a “suspicious” man by Orange County sheriff’s deputies, who were serving an eviction notice in the 800 block of North Harbor Boulevard, according to Anaheim Police Sgt. Daron Wyatt. The deputies advised police that the man might be involved in burglaries. When officers responded they made contact with a man who was standing behind a stolen car in the west alley of Harbor Boulevard, officials said. The man allegedly did not cooperate with police, prompting officers to call for backup, police tweeted. At some point after that — and for an unknown reason — at least one officer opened fire on the man, injuring him. The man was transported to a local hospital in critical condition, police said. No officers were hurt. A handgun was found next to the suspect after the shooting, according to Wyatt.

“Where it was at the time the shooting occurred, that’s all part of the ongoing investigation,” the lieutenant said.

Video from the scene showed the alley — located between Harbor and Pine Street — was cordoned off with crime scene tape in the hours following the incident. One resident told KTLA she was sleeping when she was awakened by the sound of four to five gunshots. The woman, Darlene Deharo, looked outside and saw the man appeared to have been shot in the leg. Authorities have not provided any information on the man’s injuries or how serious they are. After the shooting, Deharo heard police trying to talk to the suspect. “We just heard the officer telling him to come out, to come out,” she said. It was not known what led up to the shooting. All lanes of Harbor were shut down between Sycamore Street and La Palma Avenue as detectives investigated. It was unclear how long the closure would last. No further information has been released. KTLA’s Brian Day and Erika Martin contributed to this report.

Most Popular

Latest News

More News