Man Sought in Riverside County Homicide Shoots Himself After Pursuit Ends in Ontario: Officials

Local news
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

A man wanted in connection with a homicide in Riverside County shot and injured himself after a pursuit ended in Ontario on Thursday morning, officials said.

La Quinta police responded to a report of an assault with a deadly weapon at a home in the 54700 block of Avenida Vallejo just before 8 a.m., according to the Riverside County Sheriff's Department.

The officers discovered a man's body, as well as a woman with a gunshot wound that was not life threatening, investigators said. She was taken to a local hospital.

Police began a search but could not find the assailant, later identified by the Sheriff's Department as 56-year-old Stacy Rowan.

Responding officers provided other law enforcement agencies with a description of a vehicle the perpetrator was possibly driving, the Sheriff's Department said. A deputy soon spotted that vehicle on the westbound 10 Freeway near Banning, about 45 miles away from the La Quinta home.

CHP started pursuing the driver, who led officers to Ontario, officials said.

At Inland Empire Boulevard and Archibald Avenue, around 90 miles west of the La Quinta residence, authorities found him with a self-inflicted gunshot wound, according to the Sheriff's Department.

Shortly before 10 a.m., paramedics and first responders could be seen treating the man next to a dark blue pickup truck. He was taken away by stretcher to an awaiting ambulance.

The Sheriff's Department said Rowan was taken to a hospital for treatment. Authorities planned to book him into jail on suspicion of homicide after his injury "improves," the agency added.

Meanwhile, as authorities continued to investigate the scene in La Quinta, a fire broke out at the home and forced the evacuation of nearby residents, according to the Sheriff's Department. That fire started at around 11 a.m., the Desert Sun reported.

Officials said nobody was injured in that incident, the cause of which remained under investigation.

Anyone with information could call detectives at 760-393-3530.

KTLA's Meghan McMonigle contributed to this story. 

Most Popular

Latest News

More News