This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
A man was released on bail Wednesday after authorities arrested him in connection with a brutal assault on two young women in downtown Los Angeles that was captured on video. The suspect, identified as 30-year-old Arka Sangbarani Oroojian of Sylmar, turned himself in Tuesday night following the Jan. 26 incident, the Los Angeles Police Department tweeted. County records indicated Oroojian was arrested just after 9:30 p.m. and booked into jail approximately two hours later. He was released around 1:30 p.m. Wednesday after posting a $90,000 bail, records showed. A court date has been set for Feb.22. Oroojian is alleged to have been the man caught on a viral video punching two young women near a hot dog stand in the area of Spring and Sixth streets on Saturday night, according to police. The incident apparently began with a man “causing a scene” over the prices of hot dogs being sold outside an unidentified bar, according to Mike Watson, who shared video of the incident on Facebook. As the line grew, one of the victims told the man to take his hot dog and leave, prompting him to punch her, the Los Angeles Times reported, cited LAPD Detective Meghan Aguilar. He then threw one of the women to the ground, and the other came to her defense, the video showed. But the man — described by LAPD as being 6 feet 3 inches tall and weighing 270 pounds — punched her in the face before “socking” each of them in the head “multiple” times, according to Watson, who identified one of the woman as his daughter. He added that some of the blows were not caught in the video. Although a crowd formed during the incident, no one intervened to stop the man, nor did they try to help the two women, according to Watson. Instead, the group acted “as if they are watching an MMA fight!” he wrote. “For a crowd of men to sit back and not only watch, but film two girls get beat on … My family and I are disgusted to say the least.” The incident ended with the man running away from the scene. Both victims were treated at an emergency room. They each had concussions and one suffered a broken finger, Aguilar said. It was not immediately clear who shot the video, but Watson posted it to social media in an effort to capture the attacker. LAPD also shared the footage on Tuesday, asking for the public’s help to track down a suspect. The department did not immediately release a booking photo of Oroojian.