This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department on Sunday announced a $100,000 reward in the search for a man who shot and injured two deputies in an apparent ambush caught on video.

The attack happened around 7 p.m. Saturday across from the Blue Line Metro station at 275 N. Willowbrook Ave., according to the Sheriff’s Department.

Surveillance video released by the agency shows a person walking up to the passenger side of a parked patrol vehicle before appearing to open fire and running away.

Sheriff Alex Villanueva identified the deputies as a 31-year-old woman and a 24-year-old man, who were both sworn in just 14 months ago and worked with the department’s Transit Services Bureau. At least one of them was shot in the face and the other in the head, law enforcement sources told the L.A. Times.

“These are real people doing a tough job, and it just shows the dangers of the job, in the blink of an eye,” Villanueva said in a news conference late Saturday.

On Sunday, the Sheriff’s Department announced a $100,000 reward for information that leads to an arrest and conviction in the case. The agency described the shooter as a 28- to 30-year-old Black man who was wearing dark clothing.

Authorities asked anyone with information to call 323-890-5500. Those who wish to remain anonymous can contact “Crime Stoppers” by calling 800-222-TIPS (8477), using the “P3 Tips” mobile app or visiting

The two deputies underwent surgery at St. Francis Medical Center in Lynwood, where a small group of protesters gathered hours after the shooting.

Videos from the scene show a tense confrontation between the protesters and deputies outside the hospital.

According to the Sheriff’s Department, the protesters were blocking the entrance and exit of the hospital emergency room, and at least one yelled “We hope they die.”

KPCC reporter Josie Huang recorded footage from the scene before officers detained her along with one protester. Video shows officers pinning her down to the ground.

The Sheriff’s Department said deputies issued a dispersal order for unlawful assembly, and that the protester who was arrested refused to comply.

“During his arrest, a struggle ensued at which time a female adult ran towards the deputies, ignored repeated commands to stay back as they struggled with the male and interfered with the arrest…” the Sheriff’s Department tweeted.

The agency said officers later learned that she was a journalist, claiming that she “did not identify herself as press and later admitted she did not have proper press credentials on her person.”

Video leading up to Huang’s arrest showed her speaking to at least one deputy while wearing a badge.

A small group of protesters and a reporter speak to L.A. County sheriff's deputies outside St. Francis Medical Center in Lynwood. (RMG News)
A small group of protesters and a reporter speak to L.A. County sheriff’s deputies outside St. Francis Medical Center in Lynwood. (RMG News)

In a tweet just before 5 a.m., she said: “Hi, all. I’m out of county jail and am headed home. Thank you for caring. I have seen @LASDHQ tweets and have thoughts and videos to share soon after a little rest.”

The shooting prompted a response from President Donald Trump, who tweeted, “Animals that must be hit hard!”

On Sunday morning, Gov. Gavin Newsom called the attack a “cowardly, horrific act.”

“The perpetrator must be quickly brought to justice,” Newsom said on Twitter.