A Montebello man who was arrested on the side of a San Diego County freeway after allegedly abducting his four boys was booked Friday on suspicion of murder in the killing of his wife.
Daniel Perez, 43, was taken into custody in Santee Thursday morning after a freeway chase and standoff. His four sons, who were in the car, were unharmed, authorities said.
On Thursday afternoon, police said the body of a woman that had been found the previous night in the Perez family car was that of 39-year-old Erica Perez, Daniel’s wife and the mother of the boys.
Daniel Perez was expected to be arraigned on murder and kidnapping charges in Los Angeles Superior Court on Monday, the Montebello Police Department announced Friday.
The couple’s four sons — Jordan, 11; Jaiden, 9; Tristan, 8; and Alex, 6 — were reunited with family members by Department of Children and Family Services, police said.
The family was first reported missing Wednesday morning after last being heard from Friday, Dec. 5. After the body was found in the trunk of the family’s car on Wednesday evening, authorities issued an Amber Alert for the four boys.
After the body was found in the trunk of the family’s car on Wednesday evening about a mile from the family home, authorities issued an Amber Alert for the four boys.
El Cajon police located Daniel Perez driving another vehicle via a LoJack tracking device. A pursuit ensued and Perez was taken into custody after a brief standoff with officers and two large SWAT vehicles.
When he got out of the car, he appeared to be prepared to jump over the side of a freeway overpass, but a deputy fired a bean-bag round at him, and then officers tackled him.
He did not speak at all while in custody in San Diego County, authorities had said Thursday.
He was being held Friday at the Montebello Police Department on $100,000 bail, county inmate records showed.