Suspected Shooter, Victim Found Dead Inside Long Beach Bar After Police Respond to Gunfire

Local news
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Investigators are piecing together the details of a deadly incident in which they say a gunman fatally shot a Long Beach bartender and then apparently got into a shootout with another patron Wednesday morning. The initial shooter and another man were found dead following the incident, in which a responding police officer also opened fire. The events began about 12:20 a.m. when an officer was flagged down regarding a shooting inside the Bottoms Up sports bar in the 1700 block of East Artesia Boulevard, Long Beach Police Department spokesperson Shaunna Dandoy said. Investigators believe a man inside the bar got into a confrontation with an employee and shot him in the upper body, a Police Department news release stated. The injured victim managed to run out of the bar and was later taken to a local hospital. He is expected to survive. After firing at the employee, the gunman apparently got into a shootout with an unknown patron. During the gunfight, the shooter fled to another part of the business and fatally shot an unidentified man, the news release stated. An officer who was flagged down on the street arrived at the scene about that time and spotted the armed suspect. “He engaged with the suspect who was shooting inside of the business when an officer-involved shooting occurred,” Dandoy said. The officer then lost sight of the gunman but responding SWAT officers located him in the business. The unidentified suspect was non-responsive and still holding the firearm, the news release stated. He was pronounced dead at the scene. It was not clear whose gunfire killed the shooter. Another employee was also wounded in the shooting and taken to a hospital for treatment, officials said. Authorities rescued three women and a man who were hiding in a storeroom. Several other patrons suffered minor injuries while fleeing the shootings. No officers were injured in the incident. The motive behind the initial shooting was under investigation.
Manuel Marquez, pictured in an undated photo provided by family members.
Manuel Marquez, pictured in an undated photo provided by family members.
Family members identified the victim who was killed in the gunfire as 44-year-old Manuel Marquez, who worked as a bartender at the bar. He leaves behind three children and several grandchildren, sister Cindy Marquez told KTLA. “He was a great dad. He was a great grandpa,” she said. “He would give you the shirt off his back.” Manuel Marquez was shot while trying to help a fellow bartender escape the gunfire, the sister said. “He was funny. He liked to have a good time, always dancing. We were always joking around,” she said. The family has created a GoFundMe page to raise funds for the funeral. Manuel Marquez had picked up an extra shift the night of the shooting in order to earn extra money for the holidays, according to his sister. The other person wounded in the shooting worked as a chef at the business, Cindy Marquez added. Authorities are searching for video and witnesses who can provide details in the case. Bar staff said the shooter was not a regular patron of the establishment. Anyone with information was asked to call the Police Department at 562-570-7244. Those who prefer to remain anonymous can contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477. KTLA’s Brian Day contributed to this report.

Copyright 2022 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Most Popular


Latest News

More News