Four people were made ill by leaking gases in Wilmington Thursday morning, the Los Angeles Fire Department said.
The leak was reported at 6:39 a.m. in the 2100 block of East Pacific Coast Highway.
“Several patients” were affected by what was reported to be butane and hydrogen sulfide, though the leak was shut down by about 7:15 a.m., according to the LAFD.
“Patient care is in progress by Firefighter Paramedics,” the department added.
By 7:50 a.m., the “hazardous materials risk has been mitigated,” though four people were hospitalized, the LAFD said in an update.
One of the four was “rescued by a rigid basket/stretcher and lowered by a rope system to ground level,” the LAFD added.
The four patients are three men aged 35, 43 and 26 who are all in moderate condition and a 40-year-old man in serious condition.
Fire officials did not say which patient had to be rescued by stretcher and lowered to ground level.