Starting next week, selfie sticks will no longer be allowed inside the Disneyland and Disney World theme parks, the company confirmed on Friday.
A Disney spokeswoman said the ban was enacted over safety concerns.
“We strive to provide a great experience for the entire family, and unfortunately selfie sticks have become a growing safety concern for both our guests and cast,” Suzi Brown, the Director of Media Relations for Disneyland Resort, wrote in an emailed statement to KTLA.
Earlier this year, Disney placed signs warning guests that selfie sticks could not be used on certain attractions. They were still, however, allowed inside and visitors were permitted to use them in parts of the park.
The ban kicks in on June 30 at Disneyland Resort in Anaheim and Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida, Brown said. The new policy will start July 1 at Disneyland Paris and Hong Kong Disneyland.
Any guest in possession of a selfie stick upon reaching security at the entrance of the park will have a choice to return it to their vehicle or hotel room, or they can check them in at the front gate and pick up the item on the way out, according to Brown.
She stated the park decided on the policy before an incident on Wednesday when the California Screamin’ roller coaster at Disney California Adventure Park had to be temporarily stopped because a passenger pulled out a selfie stick mid-ride.
Some of the other items prohibited inside Disney theme parks include wagons, folding chairs, glass containers, inline skates, skateboards and suitcases, among other items.
By not allowing the item inside its parks, Disney joins a growing list of places that have already enacted bans on selfie sticks, including the Getty Center, the Museum of Modern Art in New York, the National Gallery of Art in Washington, and the Coachella and Lollapalooza music festivals.
Clarification: An earlier version of this article included a misquote from the Orlando Sentinel. The story has been updated with the correct statement.