Man Accused of Trying to Hit Deputy With Stolen Truck Surrenders After Standoff in Newhall

Local News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

A man accused of trying to use a stolen landscaping truck to run over a deputy in earlier in the day, prompting the deputy to fire at the vehicle, was arrested Monday night after barricading himself inside a home in Newhall.

The earlier incident, described by authorities as a "non-hit shooting," took place at about 8:46 a.m., according to a Sheriff's Department tweet.

After a search that lasted several hours, the man escaped a perimeter that was set up to try to catch him.

Later in the evening, the man barricaded himself inside a home in the 25000 block of Vermont Drive, according to a news release from the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.

He was taken into custody around 10:30 p.m. without further incident, according to a tweet from the Sheriff's Department.

Authorities were searching for a man suspected of stealing a truck in Newhall on Monday, Feb. 2, 2015. (Credit: KTLA)
Authorities were searching for a man suspected of stealing a truck in Newhall on Monday, Feb. 2, 2015. (Credit: KTLA)

The landscaping truck, a white Ford F-150, was initially stolen from some gardeners who were out doing work Monday morning in the 25200 block of The Old Road (map), the Sheriff's Department stated in a news release.

A tracking device in the truck led deputies to the vehicle's location, about 3 miles away in the 24200 block of Oakriver Lane (map).

There, a deputy tried to make contact with a person who was talking to the truck's driver when the truck raced toward the deputy and the person "in an apparent attempt to injure or kill one or both of them," the release stated.

The deputy then fired toward the driver, striking the passenger window and causing the pickup to crash into a retaining wall.

The driver fled on foot. After a search of about six hours, he was determined to have escaped the area in which deputies were searching for him.

He was identified by the Sheriff's Department as Jesse Tucker, a 30-year-old white man who lives in the area but who has no known address.

Tucker was not struck by the gunfire and no one else was injured, according to authorities.

The Sheriff's Department initially said the shooting took place several blocks east on Oakriver Lane but gave a new address in an afternoon press release.

Authorities detained one man -- initially said to be a passenger who was involved in stealing the truck -- without incident. Investigators later determined the man was not involved in the theft and had just met with Tucker to buy some lawn equipment.

During the search for Tucker, aerial video from Sky5 showed four people exiting a nearby home with their hands in the air just before 9:30 a.m.

Authorities had the people stop in the home's driveway, then placed them into waiting patrol cars one at a time. There was no immediate word on why they were detained.

Two schools, Dr. J. Michael McGrath Elementary School and Our Lady of Perpetual Help, were placed on lockdown at one point during the search, Deputy Josh Dubin said. The lockdowns were lifted about 12:30 p.m., according to deputies on scene.

Tucker was said to be dangerous, but authorities did not believe he was armed. He likely knows he is wanted, authorities said.

He was last seen wearing a dark-colored shirt, black pants and a blue baseball-style hat.

Authorities said they planned to release a picture of Tucker later in the afternoon, but later said his photo was not being released.

Extra patrols were deployed in the area following the unsuccessful search.

Anyone with information regarding the incident was asked to call the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station as soon as possible at 661-255-1121.

KTLA's Kennedy Ryan contributed to this story.

Most Popular

Latest News

More News

KTLA on Instagram


KTLA on Facebook

KTLA on Twitter