Sheriff’s deputies patrolling the Riverside County Fair recently said they had to think outside of the box to help a choking baby after CPR failed to work.
Deputy Joe Ruiz and J.C. Garcia with the Riverside County Sheriff's Department were alerted to the distressed infant Thursday night after someone ran up to them, screaming that the little boy was choking, according to CNN service.
"We rushed over there, the mom was trying to revive the baby. Once I turned it over I noticed it was blue in color,” Ruiz said.
Ruiz administered CPR, but after the procedure didn’t help the choking baby he said that he needed to think outside the box. He then laid the baby on its side and stuck his finger down the boy's throat to stimulate his gag reflex.
“Thirty seconds later he bit down on my finger and looked straight at me and began breathing,” Ruiz said.
He then shared the good news with his partner.
“It was a relief. Joe said he's biting me and that kind of eased everybody that he's responding,” Garcia said.
Paramedics then took the baby to the John F. Kennedy Memorial Hospital for observation, CNN reported.
Ruiz said the experience highlighted the importance of learning CPR.
“Try to stick to the basics of checking their airway and see if anything is blocking their throat. And it wouldn't hurt to take a CPR class and be prepared,” he said.
Garcia added that it’s also important to know the difference between administering CPR to an adult and infant.
“It's a lot more delicate, the compressions are completely different from an adult to a baby,” he said. “For a baby, they have a shorter amount of time to be without oxygen.”
CNN contributed to this story.