Shooting Suspect in Custody After Hourslong Standoff at Senior Apartment Complex in Castaic: Sheriff’s Department

Local News
Patrol cars are seen outside a residential complex in Castaic on Sept. 14, 2018. (Credit: KTLA)

Patrol cars are seen outside a residential complex in Castaic on Sept. 14, 2018. (Credit: KTLA)

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

A shooting suspect was detained late Friday night, seven hours after she had barricaded herself inside her residence at a senior apartment complex in Castaic, officials said.

Deputies with the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's station were called to the Castaic Lake Senior Apartments on the 31000 block of Castaic Road for a welfare check around 4 p.m., according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.

When the officers arrived, a woman allegedly open fired from inside the location.

The complex was evacuated as a SWAT team, bomb squad and officials with the department's mental evaluation team responded to the scene. The evacuated residents, some of them in wheelchairs, were taken to the Castaic Aquatic Center for food and support from the Red Cross.

The residents said they were incredibly worried.

Clarence Rees, a friend of the barricaded woman, identified her as 60-year-old Linda Meyers.

He said she had been in a panic over a second rent increase by the new property management company that oversees Castaic Lake Senior Village. On top of that, because her behavior has previously led police to respond to the complex "a number of times," she feared being kicked out, Rees said.

"She's on a very meagre income; she has to borrow sometimes to get to the end of the month," Rees said. "She's stressed out. She doesn't want to move, but she thinks they're going to kick her out."

Other neighbors said she'd made concerning statements to them.

"She's told me that there are people hiding in her vents above her apartment," Dorothy Rudg said.

A massive law enforcement presence remained on scene after 10 p.m. as crisis negotiators continued working to coax the woman from her apartment.

But by 11 p.m., officials said she had been taken into custody. They did not provide further information on the circumstances under which the situation was resolved.

KTLA's Nidia Becerra contributed to this report.

Data pix.
Data pix.

Most Popular

Latest News

More News

KTLA on Instagram


KTLA on Facebook

KTLA on Twitter