‘Wild’ Mountain Lion That ‘Endangered’ Fontana Residential Area Killed by Police, Authorities Say

Fontana police released a photo of the residential area where officers killed a mountain lion on Oct. 17, 2017.

Police shot and killed a "wild" mountain lion after it was spotted in the backyard of a Fontana home and charged at responding officers Tuesday morning, authorities said.

A resident captured this photo of the mountain lion before it was killed on Oct. 17, 2017.

About 9 a.m., a resident called police to report a mountain lion was behind a home in the 7900 block of Frontenac Court, according to the Fontana Police Department.

After arriving at the scene, officers located the large cat -- which had been spotted in the area previously and was blamed for killing animals at two separate residences -- toward the rear of the property, according to a police news release.

The mountain lion then charged at the officers, prompting them to "neutralize" the animal to protect themselves and the public, the release stated.

According to police, authorities surrounded the approximately 71-pound cougar, saying it appeared agitated and jumped a 6-foot fence to get away.

"It went into another neighbor's yard. It was at that point it must have realized it was being targeted and lunged out of the bushes," said Jamie Simmons, an Animal Services supervisor with the Fontana Police Department. A single shot was fired at the puma.

One resident, however, disputed that the mountain lion was aggressive.

"It wasn't aggressive, it was curled up underneath the bush, so I mean, it didn't move. We saw, like, it move a paw, but that was about it," resident William Martin told KTLA.

He said a cougar sighting was uncommon in the highly popular neighborhood, which is miles away from the foothills. When the Martins saw the animal, they called 911.

"I'm not going to lie, I was freaking out myself," Martin said.


The large cat was apparently the same one the department's Animal Services Unit had been searching for over the past 48 hours, after it killed two pets.

"My mom let the dog outside and was going to feed the cat and found fur, cat fur ... all over the backyard," said Anna Marie Cracchiolo. "There was nothing left of her."

She added that she was devastated by the loss of her pet.

"I cried all night long," Cracchiolo said.

Prior to being killed, the animal was seen Tuesday morning "near children and adults," police said. They described the puma as "endangering" the residential area, which has multiple parks and schools nearby.

No additional information was immediately released about the incident.