A 5-month-old Pennsylvania baby died of starvation and dehydration after her parents died from drug overdoses and she was left by herself at the family's Johnstown home for several days.
Jason Chambers, 27, and Chelsea Cardaro, 19, died from acute fentanyl overdoses around Dec. 15, according to an autopsy report obtained by television station WJAC in Johnstown. The infant, identified as Summer Chambers, died around Dec. 20.
The three bodies were discovered on Dec. 22.
Fentanyl is a narcotic used to treat severe pain. The Cambria County coroner said the substance is more dangerous than heroin.
Cardaro had four times the lethal amount in her body, while Chambers had two and a half times the lethal amount, according to the coroner
Officials initially found heroin in the home and believed that was the cause of death.
“It’s unfathomable to think what this child endured while it was alive,” said Johnstown Police Department Chief Jeff Janciga. “I hope we never have to prosecute a person for the death of their child.”