9 Teens Arrested After Attack at Illinois Six Flags Theme Park Leaves Family Hospitalized

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Suburban Illinois police are asking for witnesses to speak out after an attack at a Six Flags theme park near Chicago left a family hospitalized.

Three family members were attacked by a group of nine people – one adult and eight teens – Saturday night around 9 p.m. during Fright Fest, the Lake County News Sun reported.

Gurnee police officials told the newspaper the attack happened “after members of the larger group apparently cut in line and were using foul language when the family exchanged words with them.”

Police say the family — a 51-year-old man, a 50-year-old woman and a 12-year-old boy — were taken to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

The altercation began with a discussion, and then the suspects allegedly hit the 12-year-old, according to police.  The father tried to pull the attacker off his son and was knocked to the ground.  Then, the group, “surrounded him and hit him with punches and kicks,” The Lake County News Sun reported.

The wife tried to help her husband and son, and was also attacked.

“It did not appear that anyone immediately came to their aid, but numerous people reached out to Six Flags employees as well as calling 911 to get them help,” police told the paper.

Police arrested the nine suspects, who range in age from 15 to 18. Police are asking for any more witnesses to contact them.

“We urge anyone with video information to come forward,” Gurnee police officer Daniel Ruth said. Footage from the parks’ security cameras has been “inconclusive,” police told The Lake County News Sun.

“We believe there were more witnesses that did not come forward, and any video would be useful to the investigation,” Ruth said. “We urge anyone who may have witnessed the incident to come forward and make a statement.”

Six Flags Great America said in a statement to The Lake County News Sun: 

“The safety of our guests and team members is our top priority and we have zero tolerance for reckless behavior. The perpetrators were taken into custody by local authorities…. This was an isolated incident and Gurnee police along with our own security personnel responded promptly.”

Most Popular

Latest News

More News

KTLA on Instagram


KTLA on Facebook

KTLA on Twitter