Caught on Video: E-Cigarette Explodes in Man’s Pocket at Kentucky Gas Station

Nation/World
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A Kentucky man was hospitalized after an e-cigarette exploded in his pocket in a moment that was caught on surveillance video.

The incident occurred at a Shell gas station in Owensboro, Kentucky, about 75 miles west of Louisville, according to WFIE, a television station in nearby Evansville, Indiana.

The video shows a man standing in line to pay when he reaches into his pocket and the devices explodes, sending sparks flying out of his pants, which then catch fire.

The man, identified by WFIE as Josh Hamilton, runs out of the gas station door and takes off his pants.

“Suddenly, there was a blast in his pocket and there was fire — big fire — and he was burning,” gas station employee Jassie Singh told WFIE.

Singh grabbed a fire extinguisher and sprayed Hamilton down, surveillance video shows.

“I was like, what is going on, man?” Singh said.

Another customer drove Hamilton to the hospital, where he was treated for second-degree burns on his leg, WFIE reported.

Most Popular

Latest News

More News

KTLA on Instagram

Instagram

KTLA on Facebook

KTLA on Twitter