Texas Man, Dog Found Dead Inside Corvette After Doors Apparently Fail to Unlock

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A Texas man and his dog died after they apparently became trapped inside the man’s car because the doors wouldn’t unlock, according to a Houston-area television station.

Officials with the Port Arthur Police Department told KBMT that 72-year-old James Rogers was found unresponsive inside his vehicle with his dog, Leia, the station reported on Tuesday.

The door locks in his 2007 Chevy Corvette are completely electric, and officers said it appeared the battery cable came loose while the pair was inside the car. With no power, the doors would not unlock.

The fire department was called and they had trouble getting inside the vehicle, according to KBMT. When they finally got inside, they found Rogers and Leia dead.

Evidence at the scene indicated the man struggled to get out of the car before he died, the station reported.

His death was likely a result of the heat, police told KBMT.

The victim was not able to call anyone for help because he accidentally left his cell phone at a Waffle House.

According to Corvette experts, there is a manual release inside the vehicle, but most people don’t know about it and many say it is difficult to see. The release is usually located on the left-hand side of the floorboard by the driver and the right-hand side by the passenger.

[protected-iframe id=”0ddacb7eab1b008c242712aac2464ee1-41641936-58900479″ info=”http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1&isUI=1″ width=”480″ height=”270″]

Most Popular

Latest News

More News

KTLA on Instagram


KTLA on Facebook

KTLA on Twitter