Final Survivor of Mass Shooting at Stoneman Douglas High School Released From Hospital

Nation/world
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Anthony Borges, the last patient from the February 14 mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, has been released from the hospital, according to his attorney.

Sheriff Scott Israel holds the hand of Anthony Borge, a student who shot five times in the massacre. (Credit: Broward County Sheriff's Office)
Sheriff Scott Israel holds the hand of Anthony Borge, a student who shot five times in the massacre. (Credit: Broward County Sheriff’s Office)

Anthony, 15, was shot five times while protecting his classmates from the gunman on the day of the shooting. He had barricaded a door with his body and was shot through the door.

A third of his lung had to be removed, one bullet came close to his liver, and three bullets hit his legs in the shooting that killed 17 people, NBC’s “Today” show reported Wednesday morning. Wearing an FC Barcelona jersey, Anthony spoke haltingly to “Today” due to his injuries.

“I feel good,” he said.

“I (thought) I was going to die.”

Alex Arreaza, his attorney, said last month the family planned to sue Broward County, Broward County Public Schools and the Broward County Sheriff’s Office.

“The failure of Broward County Public Schools, and of the Principal and School Resource Officer to adequately protect students, and in particular our client, from life-threatening harm were unreasonable, callous and negligent,” Arreaza wrote in a notice of intent to sue.

Trademark and Copyright 2021 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.

Most Popular

Latest News

More News