Swimmer Dies After Contracting Rare Flesh-Eating Bacteria off Florida Coast

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A Florida man died within days after contracting a deadly bacteria while swimming in the Gulf of Mexico off the Florida coast earlier this month, according to his mother.

Cason Yeager, 26, contracted Vibrio vulnificus, while swimming south of Pine Island, Karen Yeager Mercer said in an interview with WTSP.

Vibrio vulnificus is a flesh-destroying bacteria that is in the same family of organisms that cause cholera.

Yeager, who was diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder 10 years ago, died on June 16 but the death certificate was not signed until June 23. His mother now wants warn everyone about the dangers of the bacteria.

“This has been a nightmare for me, to say the least, and nobody should have to go through this,” Karen Yeager said.

Yeager’s death is Florida’s fourth Vibrio vulnificus fatality this year, Florida Department of Health spokeswoman Mara Burger told ABC News.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 35 people died of the disease in 2014.

The bacteria can enter the body through an open wound or a person can ingest it by consuming raw shellfish.

“I’m not telling anyone don’t go into the water,” Karen Yeager said. “Just do your due diligence and make sure that you’re not going to harm yourself.”

The family has created a GoFundMe page for the family to help pay for funeral costs.

Most Popular

Latest News

More News

KTLA on Instagram


KTLA on Facebook

KTLA on Twitter