Neighbor Captures Boston Suspects’ Shootout With Police

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
watertown-shootoutOne of the biggest mysteries in the Boston Marathon bombing investigation is what exactly happened when police first caught up with the suspects late Thursday night when a gun battle broke out on Laurel Street, in Watertown, Massachusetts.
For Tamerlan Tsarnaev, it would be his final stand; the 26-year-old died later that night.
New images are filling in some of the blanks thanks to a neighbor who suddenly found his home in the line of fire.
When Andrew Kitzenberg’s normally tranquil street erupted, the 26-year-old began taking pictures and live tweeting the gun battle as the Tsarnaev brothers were allegedly pinned down by police.

“I could see the two shooters behind the SUV shooting on, down Laurel Street,” said Kitzenberg, who immediately ran upstairs to his bedroom on the third floor, jumped on his bed, laid on his stomach, and tried to stay below the window.

“I got my camera right up against the window and the glass, continuing to take photos of the shooters and what was happening right in front of my bedroom window,” Kitzenberg said.

Kitzenberg photographed two shooters – the Tsarnaev brothers – taking cover behind the SUV. He photographed the police vehicles at the end of his block.

He said when he first heard the gun shots, he thought the they were related to earlier reports he had seen about a shooting at MIT. His live tweets used the hashtag #mit, #mitshooting.

“I just wasn’t thinking marathon,” said Kitzenberg.

“When they started using explosives, that’s when I knew it was something much more significant, and pretty much knew who I was looking at,” said Kitzenberg.

The 26-year-old said he was in a state of shock when he was taking those photos, and filled with adrenaline.

“I was terrified, but I guess not enough to stop, or get away from the windows,” he said.

Kitzenberg witnessed Dzhokhar Tsarnaev’s getaway. He said he saw the older brother run down the street, still shooting at the officers.

As he got closer to the officers, said Kitzenberg, he was taken down. After that, the younger brother got back into the SUV, turned it around, and started accelerating down the street, he said.

A bullet from the shootout pierced Kitzenberg’s house, punched a hole through a calendar in the wall, and punctured Kitzenberg’s roommate’s chair.

The holes serve as a scary reminder of the very real danger that rained down upon them that deadly night.

Most Popular

Latest News

More News

KTLA on Instagram


KTLA on Facebook

KTLA on Twitter