What is the best way to clear ice?
Clear ice isn’t just a magical substance that exists only in airplanes and bars — it’s possible to make clear ice at home, giving your cocktails an extra touch.
You will need
A clean cooler
Water (preferably distilled)
A clean hammer
A clean flathead screwdriver
A clean handsaw
Steps to make crystal-clear ice
1. First, fill the cooler with water and place it in the freezer with the lid removed. Let it sit in the freezer for at least 12 hours.
2. Take it out of the freezer, checking to see that the top layer of the water has frozen. Remove this layer of ice carefully and dump out the remaining water. The ice should be clear, though it will be uneven and jagged in places.
3. Set the ice on a clean surface and use the hammer to chip off excess pieces of ice.
4. Use the screwdriver and the hammer to break the ice into smaller chunks.
5. Finally, saw the ice into pieces of the desired size. Store the ice in the freezer in a plastic bag until you need it.
For a step-by-step guide, watch our video. And don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel for more content to help you get the most out of your things.
Sign up here to receive the BestReviews weekly newsletter for useful advice on new products and noteworthy deals.
Peter McPherson writes for BestReviews. BestReviews has helped millions of consumers simplify their purchasing decisions, saving them time and money.
Copyright 2021 BestReviews, a Nexstar company. All rights reserved.